The Bed – In More Detail

The Design 

Building a bed that would fit into relatively small space of the Toyota was  a challenge but a fun one!

Pinterest was the first port of call for inspiration from other keen DIY Campers, on first search it seemed that the way to go was the standard rock and roll bed, but I felt this took up way to much of the precious space we had.

I then found a design for a pull out bed, where the slats of the bed frame interlink like so:

fc5d2da1702ef813417ad51451a544b2

This design just seemed right, as I liked the fact that when the bed slats where pushed in, that it created a handy L-shaped bench that would allow us to sit a bit more comfortably in the van, and would be a whole lot more social, instead just sitting straight out the front of the cab.

image

The other reason for this design was the possibilities with storage, at the back you still had a good size boot under the back bench, and the for front bench I decided to put a hinge so that it could be lifted up and used as a mass of storage.

The Mattress

For the mattress, we went to Ikea, we went originally to get a futon mattress after finding out the cost of getting bespoke foam and we had seen it had worked on the pinterest post above.

IMG_2128

However when we were in Ikea we stumbled across a 3 part mattress that’s intended use was for a pull out sofa,  this ticked all our boxes, firstly it being in 3 parts and also thin and comfortable, our only concern was that is was going to be too big for the van (as I had stupidly left my sketchbook with all the measurement at home) so we had to take the risk, luckily the risk paid off.

But as you can see the 3 part mattress is actually slightly bigger than our bed at home!

The Build 

After the design was figured out and the mattress chosen the next step was to actually construct. having figured the height of the bench/bed to be 35cm.

I began creating the frame out of Wickes 47×47 stud-work timber, I wish it had been as simple as creating to box frames and placing them in, but with the wheel arch being in the most inconvenient place, I had to construct around this, basically making one smaller box frame and then connecting to the other frame around the wheel arch.

image

After the frame was all fitted in place, and I had built an additional single rectangle frame for the pull out, I then went about screwing down the slats, giving plenty of room for a smooth pull out motion.

image

I had to make sure a few slats were slightly longer so as to overlap the pull out section, so when lifting up the frame it would act as a catch to make sure the whole frame lifted instead of just the front section.

IMG_2191

In the image above you can see that the front slats that pull out are drooping, I attached a long piece of wood under the slats to act as a support but also as a stopper when pulling out the bed.

IMG_2194

All in all we are very happy with the design. hopefully it will hold up!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s